Supervises custodial and grounds staff in the maintenance of campus buildings and grounds. Performs routine maintenance and custodial services to buildings and grounds; performs other related work as required. Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time; lift and carry heavy objects (50 lbs.) without assistance.
Meal Break: 30 minutes
Salary: $671.87 weekly/$34,937.24 annually
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Please note that there are 6 vacancies for this position.
E1. Supervises and participates in the maintenance of buildings and grounds providing custodial and grounds services
E2. Provides on-the-job training (OJT) to employees
E3. Participates in snow removal; spreads salt and sand on roads and walks
E4. Cuts grass, prunes shrubs and trees, sweeps sidewalks and disposes of debris
E5. Cleans campus property such as offices, classrooms, corridors, walls and floors by washing, sweeping, and vacuuming, etc.
E6. Locks and unlocks premises, reports any hazardous and unusual situations
E7. Operates power driven equipment, tractors, trimmers, buffers, or other similar equipment; drives truck
E8. Prepares written reports of work performed
E9. Inspects interiors of buildings for cleanliness and takes corrective action as needed
E10. Issues supplies and equipment as needed in the performance of custodial or grounds work
E11. Will be assigned as essential emergency personnel and snow removal
12. Participates in the propagation, growth and care of flowers, plants, and shrubs; seeds and fertilizes; sprays lawns, shrubs, plants and flowers
13. Cleans, washes, and refuels power equipment such as lawn mowers, tractors, trucks, chainsaws, etc.
14. Performs manual labor such as loading and unloading freight and materials and storing to proper location. Takes inventories and distributes supplies as related to grounds and custodial department
15. Makes general repairs of a simple nature to custodial and grounds equipment such as lawn mowers, tractors, buffers, etc.
16. Maintains records such as inventory and maintenance; records hours worked
17. Requisitions required supplies or equipment; approves charges for supplies; maintains inventory of supplies or equipment and issues them to staff as required
18. Inspects equipment for wear and tear; prepares work orders
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
One year full-time or equivalent part-time experience in building custodial or institution housekeeping work; or in landscaping, grounds keeping, park maintenance or tree maintenance work.
Based upon assignment, a valid Massachusetts Class D Vehicle Operator's license.
Maintainers stand and walk for prolonged periods of time; lift and carry heavy objects; work outdoors in all types of weather; work varied shifts, weekends, holidays or nights; are exposed to the hazard of wet, slippery floors; work under exposure to the hazards to chemicals, toxic and noxious fumes, dust, excessive heat, high noise levels, high volume traffic conditions and high voltage wires; work from ladders and scaffolds; and may be required to climb trees and operate motor vehicles.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.