Salem State University is seeking an experienced candidate to join our team as the associate director for residential education. Reporting to the director of residence life, the associate director serves on the department leadership team and is responsible for the development and implementation of a residential curriculum, supervision of three professional staff, and assessment of department initiatives. Additional areas of focus will be to provide leadership to professional staff advising Residence Hall Association, developing professional staff trainings, and participation in an on-call rotation. The successful candidate will have experience working with diverse students and understand the value that living on campus contributes to the success of college students. This individual will have a demonstrated ability to create detail oriented policies, procedures while maintaining a campus wide perspective. The associate director works closely with the director of residence life to fulfill the goals of the department and the pillars of the residential curriculum. This is a twelve-month live-off position with on-call responsibilities. This position requires weeknight and weekend commitments on a regular basis.
1. Provide leadership and supervision to three area coordinators
2. Continually evaluate and support the residential curriculum: ACCESS
3. Lead assessment of department initiatives
4. Coordinate and evaluate the Faculty in Residence program, as well as its participants
5. Provide guidance to professional staff advising Residence Hall Association
6. Coordinate the ACUHO-I summer internship program
7. Indirectly supervise assistant resident directors and student staffs within residence halls
8. Effectively communicate during individual interactions and within group settings
9. Provide professional staff on-call coverage in support of the on-duty staff
10. Assist the director in the management of the educational, administrative, business and maintenance/housekeeping functions within the department
11. Assist with the search processes for professional staff positions, summer interns and student staff
12. Collaborate with other departments and offices in the development of initiatives and programs
13. Conduct periodic research to determine student perceptions of residential life programs and services, student satisfaction and student retention, and student related issues
14. Responsible for student staff selection and training
15. Prepare various publications about residential life for students and staff as needed
16. Serve on committees as assigned
17. Participate in long range planning and implementation of goals and initiatives
18. Regularly utilize MAP-Works in support of student success
19. Demonstrate sensitivity to students, faculty and staff of varying racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, religious, gender, cultural, disability, sexual orientation and socioeconomic backgrounds
20. Serve as a role model and mentor for students
21. Other duties as assigned by the director of residence life
1. Master's Degree required preferably in Student Affairs or related field
2. Must have four years of relevant student housing/residence life experience
3. A demonstrated commitment to issues of diversity and success in creating inclusive communities
4. Possess the ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
5. Able to solve problems and handle multiple tasks and priorities
6. The ability to collect and analyze data and apply it to the educational, research and practical needs of the department
7. Demonstrate good planning, administrative, organizational, supervisory, and budget-management skills
8. Must be a team player and be willing to work with students, faculty and staff
9. Experiences with and knowledge of student leadership
10. Excellent written and oral communication skills
Salem State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please apply online and attach resume and cover letter describing your experience working with college students and diverse populations.
Employment is contingent upon a completed background and CORI check satisfactory to the university. Internal candidates are not subject to background check.
Salem State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Persons of color, women and persons with disabilities are strongly urged to apply.
Please Note: If there is no application deadline associated with a position, it may come down at any time. Once a posting is removed, additional applications will not be accepted.